Wednesday 19 June 2013

MVI Youth Works - My 7 months

It's that time. Good-byes happen, the turning of the next page is almost complete. 

So much has happened in the past 7 months and I cannot possibly begin to imagine it any different from what it has been. A lot of change has happened with MVI and I'm glad Phil and I got to see the re-branding of what was Fringe Youth Works. Right in the centre is God. The solid foundation of what happens in each step they take, it's so encouraging to be around people who believe God has a divine plan for everyone, have a passion for the young people in Monkstown and to see His kingdom there. God is good and I will pray for MVI Youth Works, that God will continue to provide everything they need, especially volunteers who have a calling to the area. 

Our work was changing and developing right through till the end. We started off solely doing youth work but then expanded into doing work with children from Hollybank Primary School which aims to build meaningful relationships from a younger age and gain their trust, that we have their best interests at heart. I think this is a fantastic way to engage fully in the community, starting with the young, as they are the area's future. It's been great to be silly with the primary school kids and I've built some great relationships and had fantastic conversations about God and life in general. It's a privilege to be able to bring even a little part of Jesus into their lives because now they know at least a little part of God's love. I've really enjoyed working with the secondary school young people as well, the conversations have been silly and they've been serious. I've learned a lot from them, what is normal and how much they need Jesus in their lives, I wish I could have brought more of Jesus to them. I know faith is actions, not just words but part of me now wishes I had told them more of my experience of God's love and grace. 

I can't explain in words how great the team is at the centre, not just talking about the youth work team but everyone. Such a great bunch of people hungry for God and want to see a positive input into the area. I really appreciate their warm welcome onto the team and cannot thank them enough for their willingness to take us on. Moving onto the youth work side of the team though. Steve our line manager has been of amazing help this year, he's helped me to grow so much over the past year and I cannot thank him enough for that. He has helped prepare me for uni next year, whether he knows it or not, I have thoroughly enjoyed his banter and of course his skills on comic song improvisation! Ben, who is also a youth worker in the centre (sorry don't really know how else to describe you!) has also be a great help this year, was a real trooper when I kept pestering him about stuff for uni! Much banter was had and I hope he doesn't fall down the stairs without Phil or I there because I would feel super bad if he did! (Wee personal joke there). Ben (if you're reading) I hope you have the best wedding and honeymoon, may God bless you and Nicole in your journey together! The army of volunteers: Claire, Colin, Reece, Reuben, Chris and David have been great to have around this year too each of them have the patience of a saint and are great fun to be around, thank you guys for being there, it's been great to get to know you. 

I think I've written enough for now but I guess you may be able to tell that as I reflect on my time in MVI Youth Works, it has been pretty darn good. It'll take a while to set in and digest in my head but it has been one heck of a journey that I'll never forget.

Love you guys!

Charlotte x

No comments:

Post a Comment